My Ridiculous Plan

Camping, Hiking, Kayaking, Climbing... You know, that kind of stuff!

My Ridiculous Plan

Postby Garmachi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:47 pm

a.k.a. "Shitty Weather Camping"!

I'm about to enjoy some time off from work. As we all know, Gary plus Boredom Equals Danger.

This weekend, we're supposed to have lows in the Low 30s, and that's down here in the valley. Up in the mountains, it's probably colder. And for some strange reason, I want to drag a tent up there and spend a night when it's almost at its worst. The actual purpose of such an exercise would be to test the gear, as well as to test myself.

You see, I've been very lucky with my hiking trips so far. It always seems to be sunny and clear. Maybe a drizzle or two, but that's it. I have gear that's meant to withstand some extreme conditions, and I've never used it as such. I'm planning a very long hike in the next year or two*. One that will take months to complete. I'm guaranteed to have Shitty Weather on that trip, and I'm out of practice.

I have my routine down pat under ideal weather conditions. Now, I have to test that routine for gaps. It's that process of developing a routine that I enjoy, right along the joy I get just from being outside.

My present challenge is logistics. There's some Shitty Weather coming, and that means that there's a chance that I might not be able to get to the trailhead (wherever that may be...) and there's an equal chance that I might not be able to get back from the trailhead. So my choice of location may be limited to a circle with radius equal to "how long will it take Gary to walk home in the snow?"

If this turns into me setting up a tent in the back yard, then that's what I'll do.

With any luck, the words and pictures I may acquire will be worth sharing, and I'll be back in this thread with a bit more.

*I am Hiking the AT.
My pants don't smell like sunshine anymore.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby dirt_wave » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:29 pm

It does not seem like a ridiculous plan Garmachi! I would love to join you on said shitty weather camping, but the gear I have is for moderate weather. I am in the process of acquiring shitty weather gear, but that may be a while before I can pony up the expense. I will be with you in spirit at the least!

Bango Skank
dirt_wave

Postby Boogieman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:50 pm

I would drive you to the trailhead.....sleep in my truck to test it's shitty weather resistance...then pick you up and drive you home.

I would be roughing it as well being as my truck has no satellite radio or auxiliary input for my phone to play pandora while I sleep.

Also...I would not bring a pillow.
The two most common elements in the Universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.
Boogieman
Site Admin

Postby Magnum » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:16 am

Boogieman wrote:I would drive you to the trailhead.....sleep in my truck to test it's shitty weather resistance...then pick you up and drive you home.

I would be roughing it as well being as my truck has no satellite radio or auxiliary input for my phone to play pandora while I sleep.

Also...I would not bring a pillow.

:smt043
Nothing wrong with a straight line....
Magnum

Postby biggaloot » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:06 am

So how much time are you plannng to take off for this little adventure? The one guy I know who hiked the whole trail took about 3 1/2 months.
When all else fails, get a bigger gun
biggaloot
Announcer of Celebrity Demise

Postby Garmachi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:19 am

3 1/2 months to do the AT is fast! Most people take about six months. I'm pretty sure I can do it in 5, with one extra for contingencies/recovery.

My major obstacle is financial. I basically have to account for half a year of unemployment without touching regular savings. That's hard.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby LaughingTotem » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:22 am

Basically 2200 miles (2180) in 2.3 months would be 22 mile days each and every day. Average AT thru hiker is between 13-17 miles a day.
LaughingTotem
Not hated By Boogieman

Postby biggaloot » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:25 pm

Garmachi wrote:My major obstacle is financial. I basically have to account for half a year of unemployment without touching regular savings. That's hard.

Are you taking a leave of absence or are you quitting your job?
When all else fails, get a bigger gun
biggaloot
Announcer of Celebrity Demise

Postby Garmachi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:17 am

We haven't had that conversation yet. I'd prefer the leave of absence, but I'll do what I must.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Garmachi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:15 pm

As excited as I am about spending a night in the freezing rain, I'm going to have to forgo this ridiculous plan until February. Unless I plan to do this and run ten miles this weekend, it'll have to wait. There are only a few short weeks left until the Tybee Island Half Marathon, and I need all the training runs I can get!

There will be plenty of shitty weather in February, I'm sure.

Although, now that I think of it, last February it got so warm that the spring peepers started peeping...

The whole world's turning upside down!
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Garmachi » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:15 pm

Well, I didn't go camping in shitty weather this weekend. But Katie and I did both run 10 miles in 35 degrees and windy this morning. That has to count for something.

I still plan to do the cold weather thing in February. Would anyone care to accompany me? I'm looking at YOU, Laughingtotem...
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Ant-Man » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:23 am

Hey Gary, have you ever heard of a documentary called "craigslist joe"?

Not sure how much you taking the time off to hike the AT relates to the film.. but this guy, obviously named Joe, takes a break from his life for 30 days and lives solely off of craigslist. Food, shelter, transportation, and about anything else you could think of he does it solely through craigslist. He's armed only with a brand new phone that none of his friends/relatives know the number to, and a laptop to browse listings.

It's on Netflix, I highly recommend checking it out. It made me think of you and your adventure. :)
Ant-Man

Postby Garmachi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 am

I have heard of it, and it looked interesting. I just forgot about it.

We added it to our queue, and in fact... we're going to watch it right now!
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Garmachi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:34 am

Sorry dude, was totally underwhelmed by Craigslist Joe. His adventures were mediocre (slept on a few random couches and bummed rides with strangers) and he cried too much.

Good thing you didn't stake your reputation on it. ;)
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Ant-Man » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:04 pm

Garmachi wrote:Sorry dude, was totally underwhelmed by Craigslist Joe. His adventures were mediocre (slept on a few random couches and bummed rides with strangers) and he cried too much.

Good thing you didn't stake your reputation on it. ;)

:)

I mean, it's not life changing by any means. I just thought it was pretty cool that he was able to use craigslist to that effect. He could have easily chilled out in a park for 30 days or something.

PS - I will however, still stake my reputation on you watching Sherlock. :)
Ant-Man

Next

Return to Roughin' It