My Ridiculous Plan

Camping, Hiking, Kayaking, Climbing... You know, that kind of stuff!

Re: My Ridiculous Plan

Postby twister » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:22 am

turtle81 wrote:Awww, that was mean, Twister. [-X

You're not an old fogey, Magnum. :goodman:

I'm sowwy... :tear:
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.

How does it feel to feel?
twister

Postby Dvonneh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:35 am

WTG Gar, you are really fortunate to have KTs support too! You guys are awesome!
My mind is mine.
Dvonneh

Postby Travisimon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:58 pm

Turtle. You, Angelica, and I are going to have to plan some fun stuff for when Garmachi's gone. Maybe some hiking? We'll figure something out.
I'm tired of these motherf*&%ing Primordial Hydras on this motherf*%$ing plane!
Travisimon

Postby turtle81 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:46 pm

Travisimon wrote:Turtle. You, Angelica, and I are going to have to plan some fun stuff for when Garmachi's gone. Maybe some hiking? We'll figure something out.

Deal!
"To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, to be late is to be left." - Mr. Bennett
turtle81

Postby Garmachi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi guys!

There's a LOT going on these days! I've been busier (and happier!) than I have been for about as long as I can remember. If we hadn't already made arrangements to visit our friend in Florida this weekend, I would have spent every waking moment planning and getting ready for this thing I'm doing. Here are some updates:

The hike will be a Flip Flop, which means I'll do the whole thing in a single season, just not in a straight line. Because of the time of year, leaving from GA and hiking straight through to Maine isn't a good option - they start shutting down Baxter State Park (the northern end) due to snow as early as September. If I ran, I might just make it.

There are several variations on the flip flop, and my current favorite has me leaving GA and heading north pretty soon. I'll go as far as I can until the middle of August, at which point, I'll catch a ride up to Maine and head back south until I get to whatever my farthest northbound point was. In addition to following decent weather the whole way, I also have the rare luxury of being able to pick well in advance the exact date that I'll climb Katahdin. This is important because there are a lot of people who have already said that they'd like to join me for that. Sweet!

For the book part of this project, I'm doing my very first ever kickstarter! I'm almost ready to launch this thing and I'd like a little feedback before I do it. Here's the preview link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... n=dfb5f97a

And here are my questions:

1. The title - I "almost" like it. "A Different Approach to the AT"... this is NOT the title of the book, and it's NOT the title of the trail journal I'll update during the hike. It's the kickstarter title. It's okay, and it's also not super important, but if you can think of something better, I'll hear it!
2. Rewards and Donation levels - what they're looking for here is something like "$5 or more and you get mentioned in the acknowledgements... $10 or more and you get a copy of the book... $100 or more and I'll send you four signed copies and name a character after your cat..." that kind of thing. Any ideas? I have some, but I'd like to hear yours.
3. Watch the video. What do you think?

BONUS: I texted a few of you today asking for names for a website. This will be the journal I update from the trail. My current top choice is "GoGoGary.com". It's also NOT the book title, and needs to be an available .com name. Taking suggestions on that one too.

That's all for now! Bye!
My pants don't smell like sunshine anymore.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Boogieman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:43 pm

I still say a great title would be "How that worked out for me" because you know half a dozen people (including myself) said...or at least thought to themselves..... "Lemme know how that works out for you"

That being said...I think it's a pretty groovy undertaking and wish you the best.

Now THAT being said..... Lemme know how that works out for you.
The two most common elements in the Universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.
Boogieman
Site Admin

Postby Garmachi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:05 am

I've made a few changes, including a bio, some rewards, and a website for the trail journal! The website is live, the kickstarter is still a preview. Tell me what you think about the rewards I'm offering. This is being reviewed by the pros at kickstarter and should be live by this weekend!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... n=dfb5f97a

http://www.wheresthenextshelter.com/
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Travisimon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Nice roll off of your word slip. I think you should keep it. When can I give you my money?
I'm tired of these motherf*&%ing Primordial Hydras on this motherf*%$ing plane!
Travisimon

Postby Garmachi » Thu May 01, 2014 6:50 am

Travisimon wrote:Nice roll off of your word slip. I think you should keep it. When can I give you my money?

Kickstarter has a review period of 2-3 business days once submitted. Today is day 2, so... soon?
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Garmachi » Fri May 02, 2014 3:44 pm

Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Garmachi » Sun May 04, 2014 8:47 pm

Garmachi wrote:Here we go...!

http://tiny.cc/thenextshelter

First of all... THANK YOU!!! This thing has taken off faster than I could have possibly hoped. Thanks a million! You know who you are.

Second of all, here's a fun statistic*. 88 people have watched my video. Of those 88, 76.8% have let it play to the end. Here's the part that interests me: The video is less than sixty seconds. I have no idea if 76.8% is considered good or not, but I have to wonder, what number would get 100% of people to watch the whole thing. Thirty seconds? Four? Two? Doesn't matter, because 24.2% people stopped reading at "fun statistic..."

*Sorry Gary, no one thinks statistics are fun.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Garmachi » Wed May 07, 2014 11:51 am

If anyone would like to hear my commercial, check this out!

http://frogpants.com/tms/?p=1593

It starts around the 16:00 mark if you want to just jump right to it.

:mozilla_cool:
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Magnum » Fri May 09, 2014 5:14 am

Garmachi wrote:If anyone would like to hear my commercial, check this out!

http://frogpants.com/tms/?p=1593

:mozilla_cool:

Hey! We know somebody named Garmachi!! Nice.

Good luck on the start of your adventure. (I put it in hot pink. You'll be seeing enough greens and blues for a while)

Be safe and we hope it is all you want it to be. You and John Dalton take care of each other.

And Katie...keep the home gardens growing!
Nothing wrong with a straight line....
Magnum

Postby Garmachi » Fri May 09, 2014 10:34 am

Thanks Magnum!

Hey guys, I'm about to sign off of g.com for a while. I'm not shutting this site down, but I am now doing all of my updates at http://www.wheresthenextshelter.com It's just got an easier format for me to manage from my phone, which is all I'll have with me while I'm out there. There's also an interactive map which shows the disembodied floating head of Gary.

You can subscribe via email, so you'll be notified whenever I make an update. You can leave comments on every post, but your very first post will have to be approved by me or Katie. Once you're approved you can post willy nilly from that day forward.

The rest of this afternoon I'll be doing last minute re-packing and obsessively unpacking and re-packing again. Mark (aka Laughingtotem) will be here after dinner, and we'll be on the road before sunrise tomorrow!

Oh, and it's going to rain for the first three days. Yay! :lol:
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby turtle81 » Sat May 10, 2014 5:18 pm

I was there for miles zero and one of the trail, so I know Gary and Mark have at least made it that far!

http://imgur.com/a/DR0bi
"To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, to be late is to be left." - Mr. Bennett
turtle81

PreviousNext

Return to Roughin' It