The Awesome TV Series Thread

Seen a really good or bad movie lately? Review it or warn us about it here.

The Awesome TV Series Thread

Postby Garmachi » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:51 am

Let's make a collection of recommendations for good TV series'! Preferably stuff that's available through Netflix, iTunes, Hulu, or the old fashioned way - Blockbuster!

I'll start:

1. Breaking Bad - I can still say with no hyperbole that I believe this to be the best show I've ever seen on television. Seasons 1-4 are available on Netflix. The first half of S5 aired earlier this year, and will probably repeat leading up to the S5 finale (as in, the end of the show) sometime in 2013. The show has been nominated for (and has received) dozens of awards for writing, acting, cinematography, music and directing. The first three or four episodes take a while to get going, but after they do, you'll probably find yourself watching multiple episodes per sitting. NOTE: This isn't the kind of show you can just pick a random episode - you have to watch them in order from the beginning.

2. The Wire - Katie and I just finished the series last night and the whole thing was excellent. The Wire has no single main character; rather, it's a collection of multiple story lines which wind up being very tightly connected in clever and unexpected ways. There are crooked cops, good cops, drug dealers, drug kingpins, vigilantes, addicts, thieves, politicians, kids, teachers, bloodshed, sex, violence, humor and murders. Also a "must watch in order" show. The original season aired in 2002, and is slightly dated. The final season aired in 2007, and has a much MUCH more satisfying finale than The Sopranos. Available on Netflix or Blockbuster.

3. Game of Thrones - "Fantasy for Grownups." Season 1 is available on Netflix. Season 2 is not available via any traditional means as of now (Dec 2012). S3 airs on HBO next March. Terrific books too!

4. The Walking Dead - A cop wakes up from a coma to discover that the world has been overrun by zombies. There are small pockets of survivors who eventually meet up and band together. Much of the appeal of this show is that the whole zombie part is mostly in the background. The show is character driven, and they just "happen to be in teh zombie apocalypse." Based on a wildly popular comic, this show has about has much action and graphic violence as you can get on AMC. Seasons 1 and 2 are streaming (or on Blu Ray) via Netflix.

5. Cosmos - originally aired in 1980, this 13-part miniseries is what changed my interest in science into a love of science. Carl Sagan hosts this show (based on his book) which covers every aspect of the universe, and how human knowledge of it has changed and grown over the centuries. Filmed in the late 1970s, the show has a very dated feel to it, but the content is incredible. If you would like to have the known universe explained to you by one of the most interesting people of our lifetimes, you should check it out. Available streaming on Netflix.

I have more, which I'll add later. Meanwhile, feel free to recommend some of your favorites!
My pants don't smell like sunshine anymore.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Dvonneh » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Duck Dynasty on A & E if you need a laugh and Downton Abbey
My mind is mine.
Dvonneh

Postby Magnum » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Thank heavens TV has something for everyone. I want to be quickly entertained and not have to think too much...therefore I watch lots of sitcoms. I do however love American Pickers, Swamp People, and NCIS. All have humor and happy endings...usually. And I do not have to watch them in any particular order. TV is mostly background noise. I seldom "watch" it. Ghost Hunters is still my number one and happily didn't 'jump the shark' recently.

Mr. Magnum has different interests thus our need for two TVs downstairs.
Nothing wrong with a straight line....
Magnum

Postby Garmachi » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:21 am

Streaming on Netflix:

* Star Trek
* Star Trek The Next Generation
* Dr Who

For a while there, we were streaming Magnum PI on Saturday mornings while we putzed around the house. The show holds up surprisingly well and is still entertaining. However, after about 30 episodes, they all start to blend together...
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Travisimon » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:42 am

That's funny. As a child, I never could get into Star Trek The Next Generation. Last night I watched six episodes back to back. I didn't know what I was missing.
I'm tired of these motherf*&%ing Primordial Hydras on this motherf*%$ing plane!
Travisimon

Postby Travisimon » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:58 am

I guess I'll also begin my crush for counselor Troy, since I missed out on it.
Travisimon

Postby turtle81 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:03 am

Travisimon wrote:I guess I'll also begin my crush for counselor Troy, since I missed out on it.

Don't stare directly into the camel toe.
"To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, to be late is to be left." - Mr. Bennett
turtle81

Postby Travisimon » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:26 am

My god, that is hilarious. :lol:
Travisimon

Postby Garmachi » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:44 pm

Travisimon wrote:I guess I'll also begin my crush for counselor Troy, since I missed out on it.

I *almost* had a crush on her back in the day. What stopped me was that she looked like the adult version of every girl I went to highschool with, which meant that she'd automatically reject me. :(
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Travisimon » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:47 pm

It's interesting how powerful perspective is.
Travisimon

Postby Magnum » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:00 pm

I'd like to see an old TV series called the Avengers with Diana Rigg. I even wore my hair like her back in the day. She wore tight outfits and all us girls thought she was cool. Wonder if I'd think the same now. I barely remember the gist of the show other than she (Emma Peel) and her partner (can't remember his name..John something I think) chased bad guys.
Nothing wrong with a straight line....
Magnum

Postby turtle81 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Looks like it's a British TV show? How is it possible that you ever liked that, mom? :D

There is a two disc "best of" available from Netflix, but it looks like it's out of print except in Britain.
"To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, to be late is to be left." - Mr. Bennett
turtle81

Postby Ant-Man » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Garmachi wrote:Let's make a collection of recommendations for good TV series'! Preferably stuff that's available through Netflix, iTunes, Hulu, or the old fashioned way - Blockbuster!

I'll start:

1. Breaking Bad - I can still say with no hyperbole that I believe this to be the best show I've ever seen on television. Seasons 1-4 are available on Netflix. The first half of S5 aired earlier this year, and will probably repeat leading up to the S5 finale (as in, the end of the show) sometime in 2013. The show has been nominated for (and has received) dozens of awards for writing, acting, cinematography, music and directing. The first three or four episodes take a while to get going, but after they do, you'll probably find yourself watching multiple episodes per sitting. NOTE: This isn't the kind of show you can just pick a random episode - you have to watch them in order from the beginning.

2. The Wire - Katie and I just finished the series last night and the whole thing was excellent. The Wire has no single main character; rather, it's a collection of multiple story lines which wind up being very tightly connected in clever and unexpected ways. There are crooked cops, good cops, drug dealers, drug kingpins, vigilantes, addicts, thieves, politicians, kids, teachers, bloodshed, sex, violence, humor and murders. Also a "must watch in order" show. The original season aired in 2002, and is slightly dated. The final season aired in 2007, and has a much MUCH more satisfying finale than The Sopranos. Available on Netflix or Blockbuster.

3. Game of Thrones - "Fantasy for Grownups." Season 1 is available on Netflix. Season 2 is not available via any traditional means as of now (Dec 2012). S3 airs on HBO next March. Terrific books too!

4. The Walking Dead - A cop wakes up from a coma to discover that the world has been overrun by zombies. There are small pockets of survivors who eventually meet up and band together. Much of the appeal of this show is that the whole zombie part is mostly in the background. The show is character driven, and they just "happen to be in teh zombie apocalypse." Based on a wildly popular comic, this show has about has much action and graphic violence as you can get on AMC. Seasons 1 and 2 are streaming (or on Blu Ray) via Netflix.

5. Cosmos - originally aired in 1980, this 13-part miniseries is what changed my interest in science into a love of science. Carl Sagan hosts this show (based on his book) which covers every aspect of the universe, and how human knowledge of it has changed and grown over the centuries. Filmed in the late 1970s, the show has a very dated feel to it, but the content is incredible. If you would like to have the known universe explained to you by one of the most interesting people of our lifetimes, you should check it out. Available streaming on Netflix.

I have more, which I'll add later. Meanwhile, feel free to recommend some of your favorites!

I watched a few episodes of Breaking Bad on Netflix and couldn't get into it, maybe I'll try and give it another shot eventually. I was a *huge* fan of House, but quit watching it one year when the World Series cut like 20 minutes into an episode, and it just became one of those shows I meant to catch back up with and sort of forgot.

The Walking Dead....eh. The first season was excellent. Season 2 started out hot, then it just became a lot of Rick around dramatically and telling everyone "I hafta protect this groop." It got old, and boring, quick. I feel it's way over-hyped, plus I'm just getting tired of all the zombie shit everywhere I look.

I know how polarizing the show was, but I would say my absolute all-time favorite has to be LOST. I still catch myself thinking about that show. It required the audience to think for itself sometimes, and to accept that the writers aren't going to spoon feed you every single little detail regarding the mythos of the show. Maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much; me and Neeleyman always enjoyed discussing episodes and our own theories about the plot. It's a tough show to recommend, because someone always says "Yeah we'll I heard the ending sucked." If that's someones best defense for a recommendation without testing it for themselves, then they're obviously a dumb Muggle.

If I had to recommend a show to someone, without skipping a beat I would absolutely 100% recommend the BBC show "Sherlock." Each of the two seasons consists of 3 episodes, which are 90 minutes a piece. It's a modern take on Sherlock Holmes; with taxis, iPhones, blogs, and the internet. The writing is done in a brilliant fashion, and the casting is spot on. They are both on Netflix, and well worth the 9 hours to watch the series in its entirety.

And yeah G$, GoT would be a great recommendation too for people that like that genre. Hodor.
Ant-Man

Postby turtle81 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:11 pm

House - IMO, if you've seen ten episodes, you've seen them all. Maybe the back story becomes a compelling enough reason to watch, but the regular formula to the medical mysteries of each episode annoyed the hell out of me.

Walking Dead - I agree with Anthony completely...it's over-hyped and not all that great. It's different, and it's horror, which are two things that will bring out the fanboys en masse, but I just don't think it holds up. Post-apocalyptic zombie stuff is all the rage, which is better than some trends, but I'm sick of it, too.

Lost - We watched the first 3 or 4 seasons, and then I got really confused in between seasons on who was who. Now that it's all done and on Netflix, I keep meaning to give it another watch to the end.

Sherlock - Thanks for the suggestion! Sounds great.

Castle - Nathan Fillion. That's all I needed to know about it. It's a halfway entertaining show, though pretty predictable. I don't care. Nathan Fillion.

Oh, and Hodor.
turtle81

Postby Ant-Man » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:19 pm

KT I really think you guys would love Sherlock. I bugged Neeleyman about it for AGES before he finally came around to watching it, and now he's hooked. :)
Ant-Man

Next

Return to Movies Books and TV