Game of Thrones

Seen a really good or bad movie lately? Review it or warn us about it here.

Game of Thrones

Postby Garmachi » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:49 am

Is anyone else reading and/or watching this? I tore through the first book at a remarkable pace because I enjoyed it so much. I'm about a third into the second book, and we just started watching season one of the HBO version night before last.

I would be happy to talk more about why it's so good if anyone's interested.
My pants don't smell like sunshine anymore.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Garmachi » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:16 am

I mean... it's good, but it's no Breaking Bad.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Ant-Man » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:09 pm

Lots of nudity and Sean Bean..

..what's not to like? :)
Ant-Man

Postby meit » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:26 pm

I'm interested in why it's so good. It seems like every hosting account that I bust for having copyrighted material has this show. I want to know why! Also, Minecraft.
I was addicted to Minecraft
meit

Postby Garmachi » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:21 am

meit wrote:I'm interested in why it's so good. It seems like every hosting account that I bust for having copyrighted material has this show. I want to know why! Also, Minecraft.

Will do. Traveling wi only theipad for a couple days, and as you can see, it's not thebestfor typing on. I'll (happily) say more about this tomorrow!
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Garmachi » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:51 pm

In no particular order:

1. The setting is interesting. The world in which the story takes place is a world of unpredictable seasons. The current summer has lasted nine years, and the last winter that anyone could remember was nearly as long. No one knows why the seasons are messed up; it's just been that way forever. There are also hints of magic, but not to the point where the story relies on magic to move forward.

2. The characters are interesting. According to the Game of Thrones wiki, the story (there are 5 books of the 7 book series complete so far) is told from the viewpoints of 31 main characters. They're introduced slowly and with great care, and they're all fully fleshed. They all have compelling backstories, and when one does something completely unexpected, it's still justified, based on what we know about him or her up to that point. Oh, and they're constantly doing the unexpected.

3. Graphic violence. Some people don't like this. I do. Think of the orcs in Tolkien's universe. We know they're bad, because they crack whips and burn things, and they carry big scary swords. The bad guys in George R R Martin's universe carry big scary swords too. They split their enemies from navel to spine, spilling their entrails into the dusty earth, and then take turns raping whoever or whatever survived.

4. The Imp. No other books (or TV shows) have The Imp.

5. The TV Version is the most faithful interpretation of a book to screen I think I've ever seen. In the book(s) each chapter ends in such a way to make you want to immediately start the next chapter. The TV show not only sticks to the story scene by scene, but once again, thankfully I picked up on it late, allowing me to watch marathon style instead of agonizing from week to week awaiting new episodes.

6. Surprises. No matter how you think each predicament will resolve, what actually happens is totally unexpected.

I suppose I should say a word or two about the writing style. The series (Song of Fire and Ice) was started in 1996, so the prose is modern, despite a setting involving knights, castles and such. The editing is clean and tight, and most of the backstory is revealed via dialog between characters. The majority of the narration is action oriented, so the story moves fast - it has to. There's a lot going on and it's complicated. But it's fun too.

And after all that hype, I'm going to just randomly stop here, because the Season 5 premiere of Breaking Bad is on in ten minutes. Breaking Bad is still the best thing to ever air on TV. But you gotta watch from the start or you won't get it.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby turtle81 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:56 pm

The Imp!

It's really friggin' awesome and you should watch it. I'll definitely get around to reading it.
"To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, to be late is to be left." - Mr. Bennett
turtle81

Postby Ant-Man » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:21 pm

So when I picked up the first book I absolutely blew through it within a few days, and went straight to Wal-Mart and picked up 2 and 3. Got about halfway through 2 and stopped. Damn internet.

Picked up ACOK where I left off and it feels like I haven't missed a beat. :)
Ant-Man

Postby Garmachi » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:00 am

I'm amazed that GRRM is still able to surprise me with plot twists after three books. Just when I think I've read the craziest most jaw-dropping turn, something happens to blow me away. I don't think I've ever verbally exclaimed "holy shit!" more times while reading any series.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Boogieman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:24 am

Ant-Man wrote:Picked up ACOK

Hehehehe......... He said picked up acok.
The two most common elements in the Universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.
Boogieman
Site Admin

Postby Ant-Man » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:43 am

Bwahahahaha!

Oh man, Game Fuel Mountain Dew through the nose burns! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ant-Man

Postby Ant-Man » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:45 am

As of right now I'm a few chapters away from finishing Book 3. And I absolutely can't get over how awesome it is. Just a smidge after halfway through GRRM *really* cranks things up. The dialogue going on is amazing, the casualties are racking up, and "the game" is being played by numerous parties to almost genius proportions.

Not to mention one of the most hated figures from the first two books, to me anyways, is actually starting to win me over.

Oh, and Hodor. :)
Ant-Man

Postby Garmachi » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:24 am

I couldn't agree more Antman! This is the most fun I've had reading a series of books since Harry Potter. I'm almost done with Book 4 and last night I spent about two hours reading and I swear it felt like 15 minutes.

This is one of those incredibly rare instances where the show doesn't suck either!

Oh, and Hodor. Hodor, hodor hodor.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Ant-Man » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:28 pm

Book 3 is done. What a roller coaster!
Ant-Man

Postby neeleyman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:22 pm

I just started book 2, but have watched 1 & 2 on HBO. I thought they did a pretty damn good job of translating that from book to screen!
neeleyman

Next

Return to Movies Books and TV