Twister

Got ideas on how to improve the site? Keep 'em to yourself! Just kidding; post them here.

Twister

Postby Garmachi » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:34 am

Forgive brevity or spelling. Typing from iPad.

Here's the latest on Twister

Priscilla was in a bad accident yesterday while traveling home to new York. Her parents are here as well.  She's at Hamot UPMC in the ICU and has multiple serious injuries.

Officially "stable". Multiple compound fractures to left leg and ankle, broken pelvis, ruptured bladder, and some bleeding in the brain which thankfully they've stopped. BP was an issue at first but that's been under control for a while. She was conscious at the scene but theyve kept her unconscious since then. (11:00 AM yesterday ). Docs stopped the sedation about 2 hours ago and will soon test her conscious responses. She did move her foot and arm when touched earlier today. Havent seen her yet. KT and I arrived in Ravenna after midnight last night.

Marylin (her mother in law) was with her and has a broken arm. Dave and the kids were in NY and are fine.
My pants don't smell like sunshine anymore.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby bridey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:22 pm

Thinking of PV, you guys and the rest of her family. Get better soon!
Entropy just isn't what it used to be.
bridey

Postby Boogieman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:28 pm

What Bridey said!
The two most common elements in the Universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.
Boogieman
Site Admin

Postby Garmachi » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Just returned from seeing her for the first time since the accident. She looks a LOT better than I expected compared to what imagined based on only what I'd heard. She's a bit puffy (face and arms seemed very swollen) but we're told that's normal based on all the fluids they're putting in her.

She's capable of breathing on her own however they're letting a breathing tube do the work for her. I guess that conserves energy which could be better used for healing or other functions. She was still unconscious, but again that's on purpose.

She has a cast on her left arm and left leg. She had been in the passenger seat and apparently that's where the engine block hit her after entering the passenger compartment. He right side appears to be fine comparatively although bruised and scratched.

Her lower abdomen is covered but still open. Apparently there's still some work to do in there once they get more CAT scans of her head (obviously their top priority). That should happen late tonight/early tomorrow.

There had been mentions of "partial amputation" because her left ankle was twisted* 180 degrees, but after questioning a nurse I learned that this term applies even if they remove small amounts of flesh or bone fragments. This appears to be the case, as I could clearly see real toes poking out of the bottom of the cast.

Part of her head is shaved where they inserted the brain drain, so she does look a bit... odd, but despite everything I described above, she actually really does look a lot better than I expected.

*insert your own "twister" joke here. And no, it's not too soon.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby dreamer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Ardent wishes for a full recovery of your Twisted Sister!

(Ok, that was awful, but Gary said it was ok!)

Seriously, please keep us posted and we will send healing thoughts to her!
The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground.
dreamer
Matron Saint of g.com Perpetuity

Postby Boogieman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Broken leg huh? I'll buy hurricane.

Badda bing!

Seriously though, sounds like she's in good hands. Hope she gets well soon.
Boogieman
Site Admin

Postby BobbiRebel » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Sounds very familiar. Becky had a shunt in her head when she was in the trauma ICU and they let US drain fluid off when the pressure got too high. I would have thought you'd have to have more expertise than we did to be allowed to do that but at least we got to feel like we were helping her.

Keep thinking positively. We're thinking of you all and hoping for all good news from here on out. Mrs. Magnum raised some tough girls. Twister will do just fine, I'm thinking!
Shorter. Shorter. Shorter. Until the thrill of pulling through the wake overcomes the fear of death.
BobbiRebel
Grand Inquisitor

Location: Drifting through time and space on the face of a little blue ball falling around the sun.

Postby Dvonneh » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks for the updates Gar. I have been thinking of you all constantly and it helps to have a place to check in now and again to see what's the progress.
My mind is mine.
Dvonneh

Postby sledge » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Is there anything that we can help out with?
The universe....is indifferent.
sledge

Postby dirt_wave » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:20 pm

My thoughts are with Twister and family. :mozilla_frown: Not too much I can do from NC, but I will send all the positive thoughts that I can for a quick and speedy recovery.
Bango Skank
dirt_wave

Postby Garmachi » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Eight hours later. No change. They didn't fully take her off of sedation because "we don't want anyone to be fully awake and have to remember the sensation of a breathing tube. ". However, she did move her right arm before they put her back under.

Everyone here REALLY appreciates the prayers and positive vibes. You guys are all family. Thank you!
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Boogieman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Is no news good news?
Boogieman
Site Admin

Postby BobbiRebel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:41 pm

Boogieman wrote:Is no news good news?

I think that's what we're all hoping.
Shorter. Shorter. Shorter. Until the thrill of pulling through the wake overcomes the fear of death.
BobbiRebel
Grand Inquisitor

Location: Drifting through time and space on the face of a little blue ball falling around the sun.

Postby Garmachi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Some good news today/tonight. The doctors applied some kind of contraption resembling a truss to her pelvis to keep it together, plus they did some cleanup around the organs in that area. That seems to be going well.

The next thing we learned is that tomorrow, very early, they will be inserting a tiny device (sorry I don't remember the name) which resembles an umbrella without cloth into her Abdominal superior vena cava (google it). The purpose of this device is to prevent blood clots from traveling to the heart or lungs. Very clever.

She had yet another CAT scan tonight too, and the neurosurgeon said that the results have been steadily improving. He also told us that for most people he'd give a 2-4% chance of having a normal life after this type of trauma but that with Priscilla he says "greater than 50%". This is because of factors such as her age, and being in top physical condition. (For those of you not in the know, she's a black belt in karate, works out like a fiend, and is very very careful about what she eats...)

This is the best news any of us have had during the last three days, and we'll all be sleeping a bit easier tonight.

Next up - her left arm still has not been set, and I'm not sure what's up with her left leg, other than that it's in a cast.
Garmachi
Site Admin

Postby Garmachi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Also, because some folks have been asking:

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... 1306059863
Garmachi
Site Admin

Next

Return to Site Announcements and Suggestions